Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Valentine's Day Recap

For Valentine's Day I threw my annual cookie decorating party. This is the third year I've done this and even though its a lot of work to make so many cookies it is always lots of fun! I wanted to change up my usual party food and try some new things so I made deviled eggs and caprese skewers. The deviled eggs you've seen before, they're a favorite for John and I, but they're new to the party rotation. My usual party food consists of very southern style appetizers, you know, anything made with Rotel :)
 I also did something new with the cookie dough this year, I dyed some of it pink :)
The infamous cake pops also made an appearance at the party. A friend of mine was dying to make these so we gave it another shot, we made them previously for a baby shower and they weren't so successful. I'm not sure they were so successful this time either, I think I'm ready to give up on cake pops, just not my thing.
Unfortunately cupcakes didn't seem to be my thing this year either! I make strawberry cupcakes with cream cheese icing all the time, they are my absolute favorite. I have been baking for probably the better part of my life and I have NEVER seen frosting melt off a cupcake! Apparently my apartment was so hot and or humid that the frosting would not stay on the cupcakes :(
Here's what my kitchen looked like after the party, also a bit of disaster but fortunately Rosie was happy to help clean up :)
 For the actual day, John and I had a very nice dinner at home :)
I made pesto for the first time, it was pretty simple but I'm not sure I'm the biggest fan, I think I like my pasta a little saucier :) We also had strawberry salad, deviled eggs, bread and John's newest fave, dill butter. We ended the evening with chocolate covered strawberries, so yummy!

1 comment: