Monday, October 12, 2009

Catching Up

The past two weeks have been a whirlwind!

First of all after eight LONG months, I finally got a job! I'm working at a furniture distribution company as an administrative floater. It definitely has the potential to turn into something a little more design related down the road and the awesome part is that its where my two friends that I've met up here that are originally from AR work. Last week was my first week and so far everyone there is so nice. It also really helps that I already know two people. Its going to take me a little while to get back into the swing of having a set schedule though. I had gotten pretty used to sleeping until whenever I wanted to. I was so tired all of last week but this week so far promises to be better, I actually woke up before my alarm this morning.

John's birthday was also the first part of October. For his birthday we went to see Oleanna, a play by David Mamet. It was another one of those really intense, kind of controversial ones, but it was definitely interesting. Julia Stiles and Bill Pullman were the stars and there was even a moderated discussion afterward. Before the play we spent the day shopping which I know, doesn't sound like something John would want to do on his birthday. The funny thing is that I said I needed to go shopping for a couple of new things for work and John chimed in that he wanted to go too. In the entire length of our five year marriage John has NEVER volunteered to go shopping!

Its so funny to see how living in NY changes you. John has actually taken an interest in fashion! I think a lot of that has to do with working for Gilt and having access to really nice designer clothing. The day of his birthday we went shopping on 5th avenue for most of the day. We both got a couple of things. I was exhausted by the time we finished and John was the one that was excited and wanted to go home and change into his new clothes. He got a new pair of shoes and a blazer that he couldn't wait to wear so he changed and wore that to the play.

The other thing that has been taking up a lot of our time lately is apartment hunting. We've spent the past couple of weekends looking at apartments and I've even gone out a couple of times after work to look. You would think apartment hunting in NY would be really fun, but its not, its so exhausting! You don't realize how much you've walked going from building to building until you get home and finally sit down after hours and hours of being on your feet. Its really draining both physically and emotionally. The most frustrating part is that John and I will be really excited about seeing an apartment and then when we get there its tiny and doesn't look anything like the pictures. Its so frustrating!

Sorry for the two week absence and the super long post, I think we're all caught up now :)

No comments:

Post a Comment